Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Sixth Way to Wellbeing...


I fully understand why the positive mental health practices espoused in the Foresight report had to be distilled down into a manageable number, but I don't see any reason why we shouldn't personalise the message a bit.


I have been thinking about my own personal wellbeing values. I think that CREATE would be on my list - so now I have Six Ways to Wellbeing. Why so? Well, the creative expression renders the inside out - and in getting a bit of you out there, it can be cathartic. It is also empowering. In a society where we are often encouraged to be passive consumers, how liberating it can be to actually make something. It creates a sense of control. Creating is also about giving 'voice' to your uniqueness, and celebrating it.

POSTSCRIPT: following a brief discussion about this with other Wellbeing activists this evening, I'd like to add that, in my opinion, creativity extends beyond artistic creativity. It can also, for instance, include the ability to systematise things. Indeed, even seemingly routine activity can be made playful in keeping with wellbeing principles - click HERE for one experiment in this area...

<*((((><(

No comments:

Post a Comment