Thursday, October 1, 2009

Forming good habits of mind...


I have been actively playing with the five ways to wellbeing for about two weeks now. As a practical guide to action, I can see lots of ways in which awareness of these has helped my sense of wellbeing. Each is like a finger on the hand playing a chord on a piano - a sense of harmony becomes apparent when they're all in play. 

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to change the world, to help to make it a better place. As with many people with a drive to fight for social justice, I would give 110% to these efforts, and, oftentimes, leave little time and energy for myself (in fact, one time I nearly died due to the exertions involved in doing this!). However, for me, the wellbeing ways are like finding a missing piece of the puzzle (of me!); they provide a virtuous spiral, linking personal empowerment and good mental health to the wider wellbeing of my community, and ultimately, of society. I am tending to myself and my head, whilst also giving as I go. How cool is that!

That's not to say that it's like a single wave of a magic wand. Of course I have, and will have, bad moments. No, the progress I'm feeling here is more in the nature of positive movement through small, manageable steps. It is also something that you have to work at. Research suggests that it takes 21 days to change a habit. That's not such a long time to form some good habits of mind now is it ;-)

Colin

PS Don't forget to check out my 'Give' and 'Get' pages - links on the front page sidebar, underneath my profile...

<*((((><(

No comments:

Post a Comment